Saturday 12 May 2012

A stroll down memory lane: the Day Ophelia came home


Princess O had some pretty humble beginnings. She is the feline formerly known at Cat #90. I adopted her from the Burnaby SPCA when she was around 6 months old, and she was the saddest looking cat there. Picture it: the bottom shelf, tucked behind a bag of food, infested with fleas, infected with tapeworm, and downright miserable. That was my little princess. I noticed her beautiful eyes peering at me from the depths of her cage, and asked if I could hold her. I don’t understand it, but something in my heart just opened up. I knew that she would change my life forever, so I decided to adopt her. When I told the clerk I had chosen her, he said “That’s great. Just put her back in the cage while we fill out the paperwork.” Yeah, right. Ophelia resisted with everything in her might, and treated me to a yodeling session the likes of which I had never heard before. I ended up filling out the paperwork with one hand while holding her with the other hand.


Ophelia was a curious kitten. She jumped in the bathtub with me the night that she came home, and that’s how she got her name. Seriously, whoever heard of a cat that loved water? It took me 18 months to socialize her properly. I don’t know what happened in her first 6 months, but she was more easily startled than most cats, and could be quite aggressive. Cesar Millan wasn’t around in those days, so I had to go to the library and do some research. It was all worth it in the end. Ophelia is a cuddly, affectionate little kitty that enjoys sleeping on my forearm and purrs me to sleep every night. I’m so glad I chose her and not one of those adorable little kittens on the top shelves at the SPCA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment