Saturday 19 May 2012

Discipline isn't just for puppies and kittens

Observe any parent of a sick kid, and you'll see how hard it can be to discipline them. It can be the same with an elderly pet. After all, they can be frail, and you don't want to stress them. However, discipline remains a necessity throughout your pet's life.

It's necessary to maintain boundaries appropriate to your pet's abilities. For example, Lil is still expected to heel when we go for a walk, and she's not allowed to pull. She is capable of doing both, and is therefore expected to. However, she's not expected to come when called. That would be kind of silly, seeing as she can only hear loud noises, and I'm naturally soft-spoken. My expectations change with her changing ability level, but Lilith and Ophelia are not allowed to run rampant. When I see Ophelia trying to steal Lilith's food, she is told "no" and redirected to her own. She is as resistant to discipline as when she was younger, but I've remained stubborn, too.

Pets need boundaries and a strong leader. They don't need pity. If I let Lilith walk wherever she wants just because her sight and hearing are diminishing, I will most likely step on her, trip over her, and not enjoy our walks. If I let Ophelia eat Lilith's food, she'll most likely get sick. Discipline often contributes to safety and a high quality of life. 
Mommy wouldn't let me eat my sister's food. Hmpf!

No comments:

Post a Comment