Friday 25 May 2012

EPIC fire escape fail

My fire escape plan was an epic fail. Oh, the sad irony of having a carefully orchestrated plan and having it bomb so brutally! The fire alarm went off an hour ago. (It's still on because they can't figure out how to turn it off, but that's another story). Where was I? Oh, yeah, the fire alarm went off. Remember when I said I was going to carry Lil down the stairs? Well, I did, but I hadn't counted on her having an absolute coniption when she smelled the smoke around the 7th floor. She peed in my arms, then I almost slipped on it! I also hadn't counted on her howling and freaking out while waiting outside. That's so unlike her, and it broke my heart that I couldn't comfort her. The only thing that helped was going to sit in the car. AND we have an appointment at the vet tomorrow for her cartrophen injection. Oh man. Maybe the vet will come to the car and spare her having to go inside. Alas, I digress.

Remember when I said Ophelia was going to go into a pillowcase? Um, didn't happen. I tried, but I realized that I couldn't carry both, and I figured it was a false alarm because I couldn't smell smoke, so I left Phe in the suite. The way Lil was freaking, I'm glad Ophelia was hiding peacefully upstairs, but it wasn't a false alarm, so I will never leave little O again. What was I thinking? Our building is over 20 stories tall! So what if I couldn't smell smoke on my floor! Seriously. I'm so unimpressed with myself for my serious lack of judgment :-(  
 
Long story short: it's back to the drawing board for us. I will be going to the pet store to buy a backpack style carrier for Ophelia. One pet in the front, one pet in the back. It should work better than the pillowcase idea. I'm also going to keep a shoulder bag with a spare jacket for Lil, a spare leash, treats, and maybe a sweater for myself, too. 

Phew, they finally turned the alarm off. Lilith has stopped shaking. Ophelia is purring on the couch. As for me, I'm doing ok. Inhale, exhale, repeat...

No comments:

Post a Comment