Friday 11 May 2012

Counting Carbs isn't just for humans

I thought I was feeding the girls high quality food. Well, I was, but it turns out that wet food is better for them than dry food, even if it's high end kibble. Dry food contains more carbs than dogs and cats need. Wow. I wish I had known that sooner. When we thought Ophelia may have been diabetic because of the amount of sugar in her urine, I felt so guilty because of all the extra carbs in her kibble. My reasoning for feeding her kibble was simply that I didn't like the smell of meat, being a vegetarian, so I felt like I had compromised her health for my own comfort. Well, as GI Joe used to say "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle" or something like that. You get the idea. The girls and all my future pets will be fed high quality wet food from this point forwards. 
Lil enjoys a bit of liver fudge with her dinner
P.S. I should mention that I am against dieting for humans, but instead, favour a healthy lifestyle. Even for the girls, treats are still acceptable. Lilith loves her liver fudge, and Ophelia goes gaga over greenies. Moderation is key.

No comments:

Post a Comment