Tuesday 8 May 2012

Education is the only antidote


Ready to Roll
·         
           Some days, when people comment on the doggie stroller in a negative manner, I don't have the time, energy, or patience to engage in a conversation about it. As a result, I am seriously contemplating printing my list of reasons for using a dog stroller and handing uninformed people a leaflet as I continue walking. It would say the following:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Here are my top reasons for using a dog stroller:
* You can go on long walks again because if your dog gets tired, you just put them in the stroller and keep going while they rest. This greatly improves their quality of life. They get to explore different places, and smell different scents than they would if they were chained to a two block radius because of mobility issues.
* Arthritic dogs can still walk, and should be allowed to for as long as they are comfotably able. The stroller is not a walking replacement; it's a mobility aid. It has helped keep my dog healthy and limber. If I wasn't able to walk her, she'd be in much worse shape. My dog is the equivalent of 95 years old. Would you begrudge a 95 year old human a walker?
* Many older dogs are not predictable when it comes to fatigue. Some days, twenty minutes is totally doable, and some days, it isn't. Finding out that your dog doesn't want to walk another step when you're more than a block away from home is no fun, let me tell you. 

My dog is so happy when she gets to go for walks. Before we got the stroller, she used to resist the harness because she was aware that she couldn't manage, and it was causing her stress. Now, she is as happy to put on her harness as she was when she was 15. If my dog was able to express her opinion on the matter, I think she would say she's happy, and that's what matters most.

I realize that many dogs don't make it to such a ripe old age, so many humans lack an understanding of what geriatric dog care entails. I hope this has helped to improve your understanding of the situation. Thank you for taking the time to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment