Tuesday 29 May 2012

Grooming: A DIY experience

I have been grooming Princess O for as long as I've had her. Every morning, I brush her, clip one or two claws, and brush her teeth (in that order). Chicken flavoured toothpaste is the best invention EVER! 

Ophelia having a little post-grooming treat

Lil was a different story. Being a former show dog, I'm sure she was groomed ad nauseum in her early years. When she went to live with my mom at the age of 5, she was taken to the groomer's to have her fur and nails clipped. When I adopted her, I began to brush her myself, but continued to take her to the groomer's to have her nails done because I was too scared to attempt to do them myself. She never liked going. She'd shake as soon as we got in the door, then she'd emit this low level whine, and she wouldn't hold still for them at all, even if I was holding her. They got her quick twice because of all the squirming, so I decided that I was going to have to be brave and learn to do it myself. Deep breaths...

I went to the pet store to buy some clippers, and watched six different "how-to" videos on YouTube. Finally, I was ready. I tried holding her like in the videos, and it wasn't possible for me to groom her by myself. Then, I decided to hold her like a baby, and she actually seemed to like it! Mission accomplished! I don't clip that much off of her nails, but I do it every week, and she's super cooperative. We have an understanding: I get to clip one paw worth of nails, and she gets to lick a bit of chicken flavoured toothpaste. Seriously, it's the best invention EVER!

All it took to achieve this level of relaxation is consistency and perseverance. It was sooo worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment