Thursday 16 August 2012

Are you kidding me?

I woke up this morning, fed Ophelia, and then padded over to the fish tank to feed Bubbles, my 4 1/2 year old Betta. I blinked a few times to make sure I wasn't dreaming, but it was true. Bubbles is dead, and with that, I find myself completely immersed in the anger stage of grief. Two pets in one week? Why? And why me? What the bleep have I done wrong lately that suddenly my pets are dropping like flies? Wasn't I sad enough already after having just lost Lilith?

And then comes the fear: Will things happen in threes? Is Ophelia going to die soon? 

I KNOW Bubbles was 4 1/2, and for a species that has a tendency to die when you look at them sideways, that's pretty good, but there was comfort in seeing him swimming around in my kitchen. I loved saying good morning to him, and now, his tank is empty, and just at the time when I needed the comfort of his presence the most. 

I don't know what to think anymore. Right now I'm just a giant raw nerve. I think I'm going to drive to Bellingham today just so I can yell and scream in my car on the way. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment