Saturday 7 July 2012

A spoonful of cod liver oil makes the medicine go down

The vet confirmed that Lil's heart murmur has gotten worse. He doesn't think it's quite the end yet, but he gave us a medication to help a little bit in conjunction with the fortekor. 

Lil isn't like most dogs. You can't just wrap a pill in bacon and expect her to eat it. She has been known to go on hunger strikes if she can smell liquid medicine in her food, and she gags if she discovers capsules in it. I knew I couldn't expect new results while attempting to get a capsule into her stomach by using the same failed methods. Thus, I decided to wrap the capsule in liver fudge and roll it in cod liver oil, then hand feed it to her. Mission accomplished! How exciting! If she takes the three sample pills successfully, I'll start her on a regular dose of it next week. 

That said, I'm pretty sure this is the last medication I'll put her on. Between the cartrophen, the fortekor, and now this one (the name of which eludes me right now), I think that's enough, especially if you consider the glycoflex, the cod liver oil, the prescription food, etc. etc. If her adorable little body is failing, of course I'll do what I can to help her remain comfortable, but to fight the inevitable so hard doesn't feel right. I think she's starting to communicate a sense of physical fatigue to me, and I will respect that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment