Wednesday 11 July 2012

Smooth moves

When your dog gets on in years, you become waaaaaay too interested in their bowel movements. Well, maybe it's just me, but when Lil goes, it's debatable which one of us feels more relief. I have been known to announce to complete strangers "Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!!", and they have no clue what to make of that statement. Then, I immediately go and look at her pooh in order to assess its solidity, quantity, and colour. It seems I've become quite the amateur scatologist/nutjob! 

There are days when everything flows smoothly, and then there are days when Lil gets a little backed up, shall we say. Oh what to do in such cases??? I try to keep her walk schedule consistent, take her to familiar places where she has felt comfortable going before, ensure that she gets enough exercise, and keep her well hydrated. I also make sure not to radically alter her diet, and keep other dogs away from her when she needs to do a #2. It drives me a little bit crazy when she's just about to go and some strange dog tries to shove his nose up her colon. Pardon the visual, but seriously, it happens. 

I am of the opinion that prevention beats a cure any day, so I rely heavily on that aforementioned tips. However, when I get desperate, I break out the pumpkin biscuit recipe. So without further ado, here it is:


Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, mix 2 eggs with 1/2 cup pumpkin. Stir in 2 Tbsp skim milk powder and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Add about 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour gradually, forming a dough. Roll dough on a floured surface between 1/4-1/2" thick, cut, and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 20 minutes on each side, and allow to cool completely. Store in the fridge.


Note: you can substitute brown rice flour for whole wheat, if you can find it.


Lil hasn't gone today, so I will be trying again shortly. I say that I will be trying again because I seem to think that providing verbal encouragement will somehow help. Even if Lil could hear me (she is, after all, hard of hearing), I doubt it would help, but still I persist. Some people cheer on their sports team as if the TV were a conduit that allowed their voices to be heard. I cheer my dog on in a very similar manner. On days that she doesn't go, I provide many chances. You can bet there will be a small whoop of victory on my part when she finally goes, and passersby will seriously question my mental health. Sigh, sometimes I question my mental health.

No comments:

Post a Comment