Saturday 21 July 2012

A question of breeding

Lilith is happy even when it's chilly on the seawall
I sure love my dog. I would love her if her coat was a mottled collection of colours, and one ear permanently flopped. I would love her if she wasn't so well behaved, and if she barked at inappropriate times. Oh let's face it. I adore my dog. I think she's perfect, and her breeding has nothing to do with that sentiment. Now don't get me wrong; I am super thankful that she was bred responsibly because she enjoyed 15 1/2 years of perfect health, and even at 17, enjoys fairly good health. However, if she was a mixed breed dog, I wouldn't care. If her markings weren't so perfect, and her ears weren't so cute, I seriously doubt it would affect how much space she occupies in my heart.

Breeding is on my mind today though. You see, I was talking to someone at the stables today about Lil, and how I most likely won't take her to work with me, even though I can, just because of her age and the stress it would cause her. The person I was chatting with happens to train dogs, and eventually, the conversation began to focus on my next dog. It seems odd talking to someone about my future dog when Lilith is still here, but I suppose gathering information doesn't hurt. I think my next dog will be a lab. There are a few reasons for this: I want my next dog to come to work with me and act as a therapy dog for the kids, I want a dog who will enjoy sitting in the cockpit of my kayak and retrieving sticks at the dog beach up the street. I want a dog I can camp with and hike with, and one that can be trusted off leash. Shiba Inus are therefore not a good fit for someone like me. 


People are really getting into Shibas because they're beautiful, but many of them are unfriendly (even my sweet Lilith isn't into being patted by strangers, though she will tolerate it, especially when children are concerned). Shibas don't like water, and can't be trusted off leash. Lilith's breed was a good fit for my parents, and I have made adjustments that have enabled us to share a good life together. However, my next dog will be better suited to my lifestyle. Labs are known to be great dogs around water and children, and although I would prefer a slightly smaller dog, I think I can work with the size issue. 
My one and only Shiba getting as close to the ocean as I can convince her to <3

I hope that all breeders are responsible enough to try to create a match between prospective human and canine companions, but I think it helps when the humans have a good idea about what they want. When people look for life partners, some people focus too much on looks and not enough on personality traits. Many humans put more effort into looking for a used car than they do into thinking about what kind of dog to adopt. My modus operandi is to adopt for life. I am a "til death do us part" kind of pet parent. Why not put some thought into it and ensure a good fit all around? 

That said, I am grateful for the information I received today, and will now go on enjoying every day I have left with Lilith. Despite her breed's characteristics, she is somehow perfect for me. It's almost like she's met me in the middle, and matched every compromise I've made with one of her own. She is a great sister to Ophelia (and vice versa), and I consider sharing time and space with her a supreme honour. I don't know what I did to be so lucky.  
My little friend :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment