Friday 6 April 2012

Trauma for the Mama


It can be pretty tough watching someone you love do hand to paw combat with arthritis. For quite some time, I've been in Lil's corner, regularly plying her with cod liver oil and glucosamine. Lately, that hasn't been enough, so we've just started doing weekly cartrophen injections. I sure hope they work because Lil had another wipeout this week. It hasn't happened since November, but basically, she fell, arched her back, and howled in pain. Then, she lost control of her bladder. She got over it in about two minutes, but I'm still a little traumatized. The vet says cartrophen takes about a month to start working, so we have about 10 days left. Fingers crossed...
Ophelia has her paws crossed for her sister

I protected my little friend when she was charged by a Canada Goose, I jumped in front of her when an irresponsible cyclist almost ran her over, and I had her back when a raccoon tried to take a swipe at her. I wish I could jump in the ring and fight this beast for Lil, but I can't. That really sucks. I did, however, buy her an orthopaedic bed from the good people at dogquality.com last year. It quickly became an integral part of our treatment regimen. She's had way more pep in her step when she first wakes up since we bought it, and it actually cost less than her previous bed. Go figure. 

Anyway, stay tuned for an update...


Lil's smile seems to indicate that she likes her bed :-)  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment