Monday 26 March 2012

Should have gone to law school...

I took Lilith to the vet for a recheck on Sunday. Rechecks are free, thankfully. I don't quite understand how I walked out of there having spent $192. I guess it could have something to do with the food I bought for the girls now that they're both on a special diet for their kidneys, and the cartrophen injection for Lilith (since she refuses to eat when I put tramadol in her food), or maybe it was the chewable blood pressure pill for Ophelia, which is intended to take some of the pressure off of her kidneys.

The vet told me that Ophelia is due for a blood test in June, and my heart sank. I knew that caring for senior pets could be costly, but I've spent nearly $800 in two weeks! I simply can't keep this up for much longer. I'm a teacher, after all, and my profession is not exactly known for being properly remunerated. Somehow we've always managed, but the bottom line is that Ophelia won't be having a blood test in June. I feel terrible about it, but I've already dipped into my "pay rent over the summer" fund, and after June ends, I won't see a paycheque until mid-September. I guess it's time to pack my bags because I'm going on a guilt trip.
Lilith and my niece
Some days it feels like caring for a senior pet is a full time job, but it doesn't pay very well. I want so much to be the best friend I can be to my pets, but they're going to miss out on medical monitoring and whatnot. No matter how many times I tell myself that I'm doing the best I can, I still feel terrible about that. Lilith and Ophelia have been unfailingly loyal to me and mine as long as I've known them. They deserve the best care possible. I just hope that what they're getting is enough. I can't kick myself for not having pet insurance, but I totally see the merits of it.

Anyway, there's no sense dwelling on lack. I'm going to have to trust that I'll always be able to meet the girls' needs. In the meantime, it's time for us to go to bed. I have to work tomorrow. Someone's got to keep the girls in the luxurious manner to which they are accustomed.
Ophelia patiently tolerating a cuddle from my niece

No comments:

Post a Comment