Friday 30 March 2012

Homecoming queen

Lilith on her first night with us
The anniversary of Lilith's adoption is just around the corner, so I'll tell you how it all unfolded. My parents adopted Lilith when she was five years old. To make a long story short, after my dad died and my mom became seriously ill, Ophelia and I moved back home to help out, and we stayed for over two years. Eventually, my mom became terminally ill and moved into a hospice, so the question of what to do with her pets arose.

I usually think things through in great detail, but this time I thought with my heart. I decided to adopt Lilith, even if it meant that I might have to move (dogs weren't really allowed in my old place). Lilith was already fourteen, and I didn't think she'd stand a chance at the SPCA. Besides, I had lived with her for a couple of years and known her for nearly a decade. I loved that little furball, and if I may say so, the feeling was mutual. How could I not take her? I had already taken over the bulk of responsibility for her care since my mom got sick, so I felt that I couldn't let her down. Just because a dog isn't a puppy doesn't mean they don't have a lot to offer, so that's how I came to adopt a senior dog...in a nutshell.

No comments:

Post a Comment