Sunday 18 March 2012

The Importance of a Good Vet


·         When I go to see my doctor, there is usually no shortage of older people in the waiting room. When the body ages, it requires more medical attention, and the same holds true for pets, as I am discovering. I wish I had pet insurance. I adopted Ophelia was I was 19, so couldn’t really afford it, and Lilith was already 14 when I adopted her, so she wasn’t eligible. There’s no sense crying over spilled milk though, I suppose. The point I’m trying to make is that we’ve been to the vet more often in the past year than for both pets combined during the previous decade, so I would just like to emphasize the importance of having the right vet for your family.


In my case, I have a tendency to turn into a blubbering mess when my pets are ailing, so I need a vet capable of keeping me calm and explaining things to me in great detail so that I don’t feel like I have to research the situation myself (you know how when you google things you can really freak yourself out…I’m totally guilty of doing that, but if the vet tells me how it is, I don’t feel compelled to bother, thus I spare myself a lot of grief). Luckily, I found the right vet for us. He’s not in our neighbourhood, but it’s worth the 15 minute drive, even with Ophelia’s operatic yowling and Lil’s guilt-inducing whimpering. I travel for 30 minutes to see my doctor, and an hour to see my dentist. Good health care is worth it to me, so the idea of taking my pets to a more local vet just for convenience is preposterous. 

Here's an example of the WRONG vet: 
Shortly after I decided to become Lil’s main human, I took her to the vet for a check up. He told me that Lil needed her teeth cleaned and that I should have her put under general anaesthetic for the procedure. I looked at him and said “You want me to put my 14 year old dog with a heart murmur under anaesthetic? You have GOT to be kidding me.” Now I know my dog has dental issues. My mom didn’t brush her teeth because Lil wouldn't hold still for her, and when my mom began to get sick, she stopped taking Lil to the vet for regular teeth cleanings because of the expense. As a result, Lil’s teeth aren’t spectacular, but the risks of putting an elderly dog with a heart murmur under general anaesthetic don’t really justify the benefits, in my humble, non-veterinarian opinion. I was not impressed with the suggestion, nor with the vet's response to my questioning the safety of anaesthetizing her being that if I cared about my dog, I would put the procedure on my credit card. Not once had I mentioned the $1100 price tag as a reason for not wanting to put Lil through it. I was not questioning the cost, but the safety of the procedure itself. He got a failing grade for listening skills there. As Lil’s human, I have a responsibility to look out for her, and if that involves me questioning her vet, I will. The right vet for me needs to be able to handle that. He or she also needs to able to listen to me and respond to my concerns appropriately. If I ever have kids, I feel sorry for their paediatrician, but I wouldn’t hesitate to advocate for them or question the doctor, if needed, so why wouldn’t I do the same for my pets? The Donald isn't the only one who can fire people.

When I take the girls into the vet’s office, the people at the front desk are helpful, caring, and kind. When I call with a question about their medication dosage or something, they pass the messages on to the vet, and he always returns my call promptly. Good communication is key. I feel like my vet cares about us and genuinely likes his job. Oh, and as an added bonus, they're open on Sundays! Just remember that you are the consumer, and you do not have to settle for poor quality health care for your pet. If I didn’t have a car, I would call the pet taxi, rent a car, or ask a friend to drive me so that I could obtain the best possible care for the girls. When I first adopted Ophelia, I didn’t have a car, and our vet was half an hour away by car. My mom or dad usually drove us, but we also took a regular cab twice (they never had a problem transporting us as long as she was in a carrier). 

In summary, good veterinary care is a major help when you're taking care of pets at any age, but it's essential to your sanity when your pets get into their golden years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment